Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A shot in the dark made my day! (day 16)

I have been working on a blog trying to explain why I picked Bayta as a name for my daughter. Mind you the twins on are left are named johnetta and janeisha. The mother of the twins, who doesn't come in very often, was wondering out loud where we got such a strange name Amanda was feeding Bayta and was behind a privacy curtain and heard everything and let me know about it. We both got a huge laugh out of it. But later that night I had put Bayta to sleep and Amanda was pumping so I googled "Bayta" and for the 1000 th time ran across links to book sumaries explaining the Issac asimov novel that the name comes from. Below that is a link to bayta maring a professional who lives in Washington. I have pointed to her page more than once and said to my wife "her dad called her Bayta and she turned out all right!" truth be told i believed that she was probably named after the surname bayta which seems to be popular in other countries.

Any way last night decided what the heck and sent her this email:
Weird emailMonday, November 2, 2009 7:46 PMFrom: "Darick Hemphill" View contact detailsTo: "baytam@u.washington.edu" It is probably too late to ask this, but I am in the nicu at children's hospital on st. Louis. My daughter is here and hopefully we will be out this week. We named her Bayta Sophia hemphill. You are the
only other Bayta we could find... I know we are total strangers, but
we are wondering how you like your name and why your parents picked
it? Ours started as kind of a joke, I liked the name from an old Issac
Asimov novel, but the more adversity our little girl went through the
more the title seemed to fit her... She is a fighter and beautiful
like a Betta fish... Also stocks with high betas do better in adverse
market conditions... Told you this was a weird email. Anyway, I know
your are a busy person, but in the nicu you have some free time. (days
and days of it) I guess I was just wondering how you liked having the
unique name, if kids made fun of it or thought it was cool... And
could you please refrain from running for president of the united
states because we kinda wanted our Bayta to be the first.

Again hope this email finds you well and does not annoy you! We love
your name! Darick and Bayta Hemphill Springfield, mo

Www.baytasbattles.blogspot.com
Sent from my iPhone
Baytasbattles.blogspot.com

HER RESPONSE CAME IN A FEW MINUTES AND MADE MY DAY!!!!

Darick,

So happy to hear from you and I am *thrilled* there is another Bayta in the=
world!!!

Yes, my name also comes from Foundation and Empire by Asimov. My dad loved=
the book and picked out the name two years before I was born.

I love my name and it has been an EXCELLENT one my whole life. People did =
play with it when I was a kid, calling me "Alpha Bayta" or "Bayta Max" or "=
Bayta Carotene," but those were mostly affectionate and not mean. It is gr=
eat having a unique name and it's kind of a fun conversation piece at parti=
es. Occasionally, I will meet someone who has read the book, so they think=
it is very cool.

Your email is not that strange. I received a similar one several years ago=
from someone in Argentina. I will forward it to you!

I have also found several Bayta's on Facebook, and they are all named after=
the Asimov character.

Congratulations on your new arrival and I hope you get to leave the NICU so=
on! I am expecting my first child in April, though don't think she will b=
e Bayta, Jr.

Best wishes and *thank you* for writing!

Bayta

SHE FOLLOWED UP WITH THIS RESPONSE WHICH ALSO MADE ME PERMAGRIN!
On Nov 2, 2009, at 7:57 PM, wrote:

> Hi, Darick! Here is my email exchange with Luis Argerich from
> Argentina.
>
>
>
> Cheers!
>
>
>
> Bayta
>
>
>
> From: Luis Argerich [mailto:lrargerich@gmail.com]
> Sent: Friday, July 25, 2008 12:03 PM
> To: Bayta L. Maring
> Subject: Re: Question about name origin
>
>
>
> Hi Bayta,
>
> Thanks a lot for your answer!
> I'm a huge fan of Asimov's Fundation and I also loved the name Bayta
> that is why we are trying to name our baby girl with that name.
> I wonder where Asimov found the name or if it is just something that
> came out of his great mind.
>
> I will let you know if we succeed in naming our baby Bayta
> Again thanks a lot!
>
> Luis
>
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 3:11 PM, Bayta Maring
> wrote:
>
>
> Hello, Luis!
>
> I am so sorry that I did not respond to your previous email, as I am
> so happy you are considering the name Bayta.
>
> The name comes from a science fiction novel by Isaac Asimov, called
> "Foundation and Empire," written in 1952. It is the second book in
> a series of books called "The Foundation Trilogy," that were
> originally partially published as short stories in "Astounding
> Magazine."
>
> It is a bit difficult to explain why the character of Bayta inspired
> my parents to give me that name, but I will try to explain:
>
> The Foundation Series is based on the premise that a genius social
> scientist has figured out a type of mathematical process by which we
> can foretell the fate of the universe. However, he cannot account
> for statistical anomolies, such as mutants. In "Foundation and
> Empire," a mutant called The Mule is gaining power because he has
> the unique ability to manipulate people's emotions.
>
> On her honeymoon, Bayta meets a strange-looking musician and grows
> fond of him and shows kindness towards him even though everyone else
> shuns him. It turns out that the musician is The Mule and he
> chooses not to manipulate Bayta's emotions because he appreciates
> her "pure" kindness and affection. Because he does not influence
> Bayta, she turns out to be the only person who can foil his plans to
> conquer the universe.
>
> That is the short version. Of course, you can read the book, but
> Bayta is a very strong, feminine character and many people believe
> that Asimov based the character on his wife, Gertrude.
>
> Here are a couple of web sites that might give you some more
> information:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/jhjenkins/Asimov/Stories/Story180.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minor_Foundation_universe_characters
>
> There is also a band in Austin, Texas called "Bayta Darrell" and
> they are named after the Asimov character. I have also made contact
> with a woman in the U.K. who is named Bayta and she is also named
> after the Asimov character.
>
> I should add that I love my name and would be proud and honored to
> have another "Bayta" in the world.
>
> Best,
>
> Bayta Maring
>
>
>
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, Luis Argerich wrote:
>
> Dear Bayta,
>
> My wife and I are trying to name our baby girl "Bayta" but the
> paperwork in
> the country where we live is getting difficult.
> May I ask you if you have any information about your name origin and
> meaning
> so we can use it in our case?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!
> Luis Argerich,
> Buenos Aires, Argentina
>






-- Post From My iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment